Skip to main content

Spiritual Art of Being a Tourist




I remember as a teenager I went to Florence with my Aunt and Uncle. I loved the architecture and the art, the food and the shops but one thing plagued me as I looked around the beautiful city... We looked like such a bunch of tourists!

 I spent my time trailing behind my Uncle as he walked everywhere with a giant folding map. I used to hide guidebooks on my lap if they were left on the table (lest a waiter should see and discover that the non-Italian speaking, mixed race girl was in fact not a local!), and my stupid teenage brain must have missed countless amazing moments worrying about how much I looking like a tourist.

  Now that I live here on Corfu (where in high season the national sport among locals is to moan about the tourists)  I have come to a new realisation.

  Tourists actually understand a place far better then locals!

Locals are busy.
Locals have jobs to maintain, families to look after, routines to uphold and houses to clean.
 Locals have an infinite time to postpone doing fun, beautiful, amazing things because after all... they live here.

  Tourists on the other hand have a countdown clock ticking down from the second they step off the plane. They have only a short, finite time limit with which to absorb all the beauty of the island, all the magic of swimming in the sparkling,blue sea, all the fragrant flowers growing in the streets, all the charm of the Greek locals, and each bite of fresh, tasty food.

  Tourists essentially live in the present moment, and the most clever ones are constantly filtering through all of their options to find the most pleasurable, most gratitude inspiring experiences available to them every moment.

  Isn't this what we should all be doing, all of the time?! Regardless of where we are and what we have to do, don't we always have the choice of what we can focus on?

    How powerful would it be if we all consistently focused on our most enjoyable options? How much more would we have to give if  each day we felt a bit more relaxed, a bit more satisfied, a bit more happy?

  The brain is hard wired to repeat patterns, and since our senses are bombarded with a million pieces of information every single second, it is very natural that we edit the world around us.
     And in this edit we forget to appreciate the amazing view out of our window because it is there everyday.  We prioritise doing the washing up or the paperwork over getting out there and having a walk, or seeing a friend, because that's what grown ups do isn't it?!  We do what needs to be done.  Isn't it funny how doing your emails is always on the list, but taking the time to find something beautiful and to enjoy it is never on the list... Speaking for myself-  enjoyment is something I tend to remember when my to-do list is done. This was the same in England and if I am not mindful it is the same right here, even in beautiful Corfu.

   When I am driving down the road and I have to slow right down because a tourist is happily wandering along at a snail pace, staring at the ocean and looking all wide eyed and floaty in brightly colored summer clothes. Sometimes I sigh and fantasise about honking my horn and saying "Hey Lady look where you are going!"...  But sometimes  manage to slow down, to smile, to look around me as though it was the first time I'd ever seen Arillas and to remember how lucky I am to be here. 
I remember how amazing the present moment so often is when I don't take it for granted.

  So my secret mission since we've moved here is to stay a tourist. To keep noticing the beauty, to keep creating the space for fun, play, pleasure and relaxation. My mission is to keep discovering new things I love about being here, new places, new people, and finding the magic hidden in the everyday places and things that I have the great fortune of seeing day in, day out.

    Ben and I are having an amazing Summer. We have been very busy but we are soo un-believably happy to own this amazing Villa (still can't believe it is really ours!), we feel so happy to share yoga and meditation with the amazing people who have crossed our paths and soo deeply, humbly grateful that we are here.

  I raise my imaginary Pina Colada to those of you reading this. Here's to being a tourist and finding something that makes you go 'WOW!'... or at least something that makes you smile. Right here. Right Now. Wherever you are.

  Big Love from Mandala Yoga B&B Corfu
     xx Sacha

www.mandalayogabnb.com



   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Mandala Family is Growing!

The Mandala Family is Growing! Gosh its been a long time since I left a blog post here! We have pretty much upgraded everything at Mandala: the house, the gardens, the bathrooms, the kitchen and the olive press yoga shala have all been renovated and taken to the next level.... In addition to that  We’ve all had a crazy few years haven’t we?!  At Mandala we have been especially grateful to all of you who still found a way to travel and stay with us amidst all the uncertainty of late. Somehow we have stayed strong and we have soo much enjoyed our connection with you and all the other guests who have graced us with their presence since we opened in 2018. This year looks set to be a year like no other for us as we have just welcomed the arrival of gorgeous little  Angelina Ananda Heath  born on January 22nd after a lightning fast 4 1/2 hour labour (phew!!). She was born into a water pool, on Corfu, in a cottage surrounded by loving friends. Rafael has been a dream big brother and we are al

How things work in Corfu... Part One: Mail

There are a million reasons why Ben and I decided to come to Corfu. There are endless beautiful aspects of living here and positive qualities about this place.   Organisation is not one of them!   How things work in Corfu for someone whose friends describe her as OCD -is quirky to say the least.   One of our first questions was the mail- You know that stuff that in civilised countries just gets posted through your door each morning. Well here it doesn't work like that. There is only one postcode for the whole of Corfu and our unique address is composed simply of the name of the first resident of the villa and the village name.     We asked the previous resident of the house where to get mail sent- she has owned the property  for over 15 years but of course she didn't know where the mail gets collected- that would be too easy wouldn't it? We are learning that  Corfiat villagers apparently see the mail a bit like a sport, you can't just have it delivered it mus

Spring is here!

Hello Beautiful People,        Spring is in full flow here on the island and we are busy at Mandala completing everything and getting all the finishing touches in place for a new season.       Ben and I actually started our journey to Corfu this time last year  (4th March) and it is incredible to see the changes both in Villa Mandala and within Ben and I. We arrived here excited... but more then a little scared and now almost a full year on life looks very different.    We have learned a fair amount about how life works here, our business has taken off and we have made soo many incredible friends.  It no longer feels like everything is Shiva energy (endings) and Brahma energy (beginnings).... OK there is still a lot of that!  But there is also a little Vishnu energy (maintenance)  to balance things out now.     We have found stability in our yoga routine, in our lunches in the afternoon sunshine, in our dog walks at the beach, and in the flow we have found here at